Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, October 27, 2014

"Service at the temple, snake encounter, and another baptism next Sunday"

 
Friends and family,

This week was great! We got a lot done, and had a good time doing it! Our Elders Quorum President made a list of all of the new LDS Disney CP's (A CP is one of the college students that are working at Disney! So they are in the College Program. Or CP)! This list included the name of the person, a phone number, their address, and their previous ward! It was pretty awesome! It definitely helped us use our time more effectively. We were able to call 35 people this week that we hadn't ever heard of! We were feeling pretty blessed!

Tuesday- We had Temple Service in the morning! Let me tell ya, temple
service is the best. I honestly love it so much. It's pretty cool to be mowing the temple grounds right as the sun is coming up. It was spiritual, peaceful, and relaxing. As I was mowing the lawn, doing my thing, About 15 feet ahead of me there was a huge black and orange snake! It wouldn't have been a big deal, but I can't stand snakes. They just aren't my thing. I didn't really know what to do. I had a giant lawn mower I could use as a weapon, but that would have been risky...  I decided not to take another step, and would let the little feller make the move of attack if he wanted to. It sat there and looked at me for a good 10 seconds, then slithered away. My heart was beating like 100 miles an hour!

After temple service, we had a couple lessons with members and were able to meet some new people! It was a good, solid day!

Wednesday- The Orlando South Zone had Interviews with the Mission President. For this interview, our District met at the chapel and the Senior Missionary couples gave a training on bike safety, car safety, healthy eating, etc... While these trainings were going on, President Berry pulled a missionary out one at a time and just talked to us about our area, and how we are doing individually. After interviews, we met with the investigator I've been talking about in my other emails. We were stoked for this lesson and couldn't wait to see what her parents had to say. We started small talking, anxiously waiting for her to tell us what her parents said. After about 15 minutes of awkward conversation, I finally just had to ask her. She said that she still hadn't talked to her parents about baptism, but she knew it was what she needed to do, whether her parents wanted her to or not. More importantly, she knew that Heavenly Father wanted her to do this, so she was going to do it! She's going to be baptized next Sunday, November 2nd! I can't wait for her. She's already way happy with life, and she's about to be even happier. I'll make sure to send some pictures next week!

Thursday- Since my companion (Elder Fullmer) is the District Leader, we had to have the Zone Leaders come and do her baptismal interview. She passed with flying colors, and is all ready for next Sunday! We had her interview in the morning, and were just on a spiritual high and feeling good about how things were going all day! We called some more people from the list we got, and set up. More appointments for this upcoming week. Thursday night, we got a call from one of the members in the ward that had received their mission call! She invited us over to watch her open it. She told us that we helped her decided to serve the Lord. Even if we didn't actually tell her she needed to go on a mission, we inspired her to serve. To me, this meant a lot. It proves that success on a mission isn't measured by the number of baptisms you have, or what leadership position you had on a mission. On a mission, you will impact somebody each day, and that's what I love about my life right now.

Friday- We had another long weekly planning session. It was fun to have that list because it made things a lot easier! We have a lot of appointments set up next week and we are looking forward to it! We went and saw a couple new CP's and then went contacting for the rest of the day. Nothing too crazy happened.

Saturday- The Orlando South stake was able to do a service project at Palmetto Elementary school! Last year they did the same service project and changed the grade of the school from a "D" to a "B" that's a huge difference. There were about 100 people there to help out! So we are hoping for the same result. It was a great time to trim up some Palm Trees (like I've done for my grandpa) and pick up some trash too. All around, a good day.

Sunday- Sunday after church we were able to meet with our investigator that has the baptismal date. She is all set and ready to go! We then went out and did some more contacting. It was probably the longest day of the week, but that's alright!

Another successful, fun week here in Buena Vista! Transfers are next Tuesday and it's coming up pretty quickly! It would be nice to stay here in the YSA Ward, but you know what they say, "I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord!" Have a good week everybody!

Ether 12:27

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.


Elder Brock Doman

I was able to email back and forth with Brock for a few minutes today and it was awesome!!  It almost felt like I was able to have a conversation with him.  He said that today they had their District P day! They were headed over to this place called Mickeys Retreat.  He said there was a big grass field, basketball hoops, sand volleyball courts, and ping pong. They were going to hang out there with the district and play games! He sounded pretty excited about that.  He also said that he’s really hoping to stay where he is for another transfer, that he really loves it there.  I guess we’ll find out next Tuesday.  Some good news is that as of tomorrow, Brock is out of the 600 days left, tomorrow will be only 599 more J

No comments:

Post a Comment