Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Inspired Lessons, meetings, and Smurfs!

Friends and Family,

Again, it was another great week here in Buena Vista! It was full of good laughs, spiritual highs, and a little bit of stress! I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week! Let me tell ya, time is flying! It's amazing how much I have learned about myself, how to interact with others, and the Gospel. The church is true!! 



Tuesday- We had exchanges Tuesday! I had the opportunity to serve with Elder Carpenter for a day. He's a great kid and loves to work. We had Temple Service in the morning and it was a great time! It was 50 degrees and lightly raining! It sounds like it was pretty cold, but it felt so nice for the cold refreshing air to enter our lungs after breathing in hot, humid air for the past 5 months! All of the missionaries were loving the weather. We planted some shubbery (hahaha) and pulled some weeds! For the rest of the day, we went out and tried to
Brock and Elder Carpenter
contact some potential investigators. Solid Day! At temple service, they give out some treats like cookies or muffins. This time they brought out a cake for Elder Potter’s Birthday! The funny thing is that the cake was a leftover cake from the local Publix (or Harmons) and it said "happy birthday Nicholas!" Hahaha! To make it even funnier it was a "SMURF" cake, with 4 little plastic smurfs on top! It was great! I grabbed the plastic Smurfs and thought it would be funny if I hid them around the apartment in funny places through out the week! Each time one of us found one, we just started laughing so hard! I uploaded some pictures below! 




Wednesday- Wednesday definitely had its ups and downs! We had Zone Conference from 7 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon... I love meetings. No, it wasn't bad at all! It was full of great insight from the leaders in the mission. I was able to take away a lot from Zone Conference and am excited to put their teachings into play! Crazy story about it: On our "Lunch Break" I met an Elder named Elder Johnson, he arrived 3 weeks ago. We started talking and he played football for Alta High School (Where I would have gone to school if I stayed up in Salt Lake.) I guess he remembered me from playing little league football together!? Small World.... Also, One night when I was hanging out with my friends about a year ago, he came down to visit his friend in St. George and we hung out together that night too... Even Smaller world.... And he is going to play football at either Weber or Dixie State! It was pretty crazy realizing all of this just after saying hi to somebody I didn't know. Pretty cool story if you ask me! Also, I sat next to an Elder who has been reading my sisters blog about her heart transplant!!! He too went Alta High school, and found out about my sister. What a miracle filled day! Before Zone Conference, we had to get our Flu shots! This was okay, but the sleeve on my shirt couldn't go up to my shoulder! They ended up giving me the shot in the middle of my tricep! haha Elder Potter was laughing so hard watching them try to pull my sleeve up! He thought it was so funny! 
Brock and Elder Johnson, the guy on the left, played little league football together in 3rd grade.  I went to school with the dad of the missionary on the right, Elder Crismon.  It's a small world!
Brock thought it was pretty funny (awesome) that his shirt wouldn't go up over his "massive" bicep!


Thursday- We met with our Investigators with baptismal dates!! They were both really excited and are loving the Book of Mormon. You guys, the Book of Mormon is so true. I wish I would have read more from it before I was a missionary. It has helped me out so much since I've been out here. There is nothing like the feeling when reading the Book of Mormon with the desire to learn. True conversion takes place when somebody reads from the Book. One thing I have learned from these investigators is always be humble. When with met with this investigator this week his humility hit me. He doesn't have a couch, tv, full pantry, etc... He has a bed to sleep on, running water, some clothes, and enough to eat for the rest of the week. But what he does have, is happiness and humility. His faith and love for our Savior Jesus Christ is amazing. I'm blessed to have the opportunity to meet with him. I hope one day I have as much humility as him.

Friday- After weekly planning, Elder Potter and I felt the need to go through a list of the less-actives in the ward and see if we could meet with them. We called all but about 15 names when we had to return phone calls asking us if we could come over later that night. The First member was so grateful for the call because his friend had just asked about the church and asked a couple questions about The Plan of Salvation he didn't know how to answer! We answered his questions, and then the member said we can come over and meet his friend on thanksgiving! It was like the perfect plan!  The lesson Friday night has been one of the most spiritual lessons on my mission. We met with an return missionary who hadn't been to church since I've been in this area. (9 weeks) First we sat down and just got to know him a little bit. We then said the opening prayer and immediately he began to cry. We didn't say anything for the next couple of minutes as he was trying to compose himself. Once he regained composure he had explained to us that he knew he should have been going to church, reading the scriptures, and praying, but he just didn't feel the need to. He felt as if Christ had abandoned him because of it. He just felt so bad because he knew better. He knew he could have done better and just felt so guilty. He explained to us that once he started to not read the scriptures and pray each day, he started to fall down a path he never wanted or thought he would go down. We then testified of the Atonement and how our Father in Heaven will always love us. It was very spiritual for him and we were able to see just how grateful he was for the Atonement. 

I honestly love being a missionary. There is no greater feeling than bringing hope to an individual who feels they have no hope left. 

Saturday- We had a lot of lessons cancel. But that gave us the opportunity to contact a lot of funny people. We had a hobo try to preach to us, we saw a car with wheels half the size of Elder Potter, and had a guy answer the door in his whitey tighties! Missionaries that are going home this transfer were able to go through the temple Saturday morning while their companions went to the church across the street. I was pretty bummed out. I love going to the Temple. In the Florida Orlando Mission we have the opportunity to go in January and July, then once again when you go home. 


Sunday- The service Sunday morning was fantastic. Our investigator was able to meet a lot of the members and started to really begin to feel comfortable with the ward! A YSA ward is awesome because you can always count on someone with the same interests as you! 

A very solid week, full of miracles! Again, it will be hard being away from home for the holidays, but I know this work is definitely worth it. I think and pray for you guys daily, and hope everyone is okay! Thanksgiving is Thursday! Grandma, you can now cook a smaller turkey since I'm gone and you won't have to watch football anymore! Thanks to everyone for the support! Have a great week! 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Much Love,
Elder Doman

Moroni 7:47- But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.


Brock and a member of the YSA that just got his mission call to Italy.



In his email home this week he also had some things to say:

"This week has been another good one. I am finding myself getting into the same rhythm each morning, which has its positives and negatives. I like it because I know I am doing the right thing each and every morning, working out, eating a protein shake and an orange, then studying. But I don't like it because it honestly gets kind of boring. I know that i'm learning so much each and every study session and that alone makes it so worth it."

"Mom, don't worry about how much is in my Christmas package, or what is in there. It really is okay! I'm doing great! I'd rather have money put on my card so I can mail some presents out to you! It wouldn't be anything too big, but it would be fun to send home some gifts :) let me know what you think!"

As for his Thanksgiving plans:
Our ward is having Thanksgiving tonight! Our bishop is awesome and is cooking up a giant feast! I'm stoked! HAHA. On Thursday, we honestly don't have one thing planned!! The bishop might invite us over, but he isn't sure if he'll be on a cruise! We are planning on "accidentally" knocking on a couple members doors :) it will be a great experience! I'm honestly looking forward to it. The ward is having a turkey bowl on Thursday! Unfortunately, missionaries are not able to participate! lame! But it will still be fun to watch. Members will most likely invite us to dinner there too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment