Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, December 22, 2014

"This ward is fun! I'm blessed to be here this long. With my new companion, I honestly wouldn't be mad to stay another transfer."

After Brock’s email last week, I was a little worried.  He just sounded a little down and like he was having a hard time being in Florida during the holidays.  It also sounded like he was tired of being in that same area.  But, not anymore!  This letter sounds so much more upbeat!  He sounds happy again.  I guess it’s the ups and downs of being a missionary. 

This is what he had to say to us:

I'm really liking Buena Vista. I'm loving the members here and I'm definitely welcome in the Ward. The Ward mission leader and I are forming a really strong bond, so that's awesome! I'll never forget some of these members and I feel like I've known them forever (probably cause I have. Hehehe deep doctrine 2.0) this Ward is fun, and I'm blessed to be here this long. With my new companion, I honestly wouldn't be mad to stay another transfer! It'd be great to stay here for 1/4th of my mission.

I asked him why he can’t workout in the gym at the apartment building anymore. He said:

Workouts are tough... I'm sick of just doing push-ups and sit-ups every morning! It's annoying that we can't go to the gym. I guess it's a nationwide rule, but some missionaries were just sitting in the apartment clubhouse all day watching the tv. Cool, huh? What a good way to spend 2 years of your life right? Complaining gets me no where, but it's just lame. 

The funniest thing was his response to the picture of our dogs with Santa!  We thought we were so funny, so did he! 

"Hahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaahaha I honestly was dying when I saw the picture of Murphy and Marli!! like for real?! Murph dog is like "HOLY COW THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY ENTIRE LIFE, SANTA!!!!!" Then we have Marli over there like, "uhhhh get off me dude. You smell like beef and cheese." Hahahahahahahaha


And here’s his letter home:

Friends and Family, 

Wow, what a crazy couple of weeks it's been! At times, there was complete chaos, pure happiness, and good laughs! I can't wait to tell you all about it! There is so much that went on, I'll just make a giant list and then go into details about each individual event! 

Transfers- This transfer meeting was one of the greatest times of the week! After I said goodbye to Elder Potter, It was time to prepare for a new companion! I was pretty nervous, but also excited! It's nice to have some change. My new companion is Elder Peay!!! So all of you are probably wondering who he is, so here is the story. Elder Peay was my District Leader last transfer. We got along great and were together just about every P-day for the last 2 transfers. Because of this, we were already great friends and didn't have to go through that awkward "getting to know you stage." We were able to hit the ground running, which was very beneficial to us. As we started to talk more and more, I found out he is also from St. George! He lived about 15 minutes away from me over by Pine View High School! Small World, huh? We have gotten along great, and are stoked for the transfer. 

Darlene (Cineus' cousin)- This week we set a baptismal date with Cineus' cousin! She is progressing well, and loving the Book of Mormon! It's awesome to see Cineus work with her, and help her along the way! 

Lamar- I mentioned an investigator a while ago who knew the Book of Mormon was true, but he wasn't ready to be baptized... We met with him earlier today and sacrificed some of our P-day to meet with him. Here's the thing, we were blessed immensely because of it. After the opening prayer, he said, "Elders, I'm wanting to set a baptismal date. I know it's true. I know God wants me to go down this path, and I know it will make me happy." WHAT?!?! How awesome is that!! I first started talking with him when I arrived about 3 months ago!

Squirrels- I don't know if i've mentioned this in any of my previous emails, but here in Central Florida, the number of squirrels is unbelievable. The are up in the trees, running along side the sidewalk, in the back of our apartment, at the mailboxes, they are everywhere! Well, Elder Peay brought along some nerf guns. I guess he is like a wizard at shooting squirrels with them! One morning before workouts, Elder Peay shot a squirrel, the squirrel then jumped down from the tree and ran him into the apartment! It was hilarious! 

Sunday- Sunday was an amazing day! After morning sacrament, we received two calls from numbers we weren't familiar with. Both of them were in the same situation. They both were baptized in a YSA ward, then moved down into the Central Florida area. They found our number from the calling the Temple on saturday, which then gave them the Buena Vista YSA elders phone number (or our phone number.) We informed them about the YSA events going on, and they were both able to make it out to sacrament last night. It's amazing. The inspiration they received to call us at the right moment yesterday, and for their schedule to work out so they could make it down to Sacrament later that night. I love being a missionary. 

Christmas is this Thursday... I cant even believe it. I'm excited to Skype home and to see my families faces again. I feel like its been ages. I'm a little worried, but most of all I'm grateful for the opportunity. It will be different not to be with them for the holidays, but I will also be able to experience what it's like to not have a family with you for the holidays. I know it will help me cherish the holidays to come in the future when I am with my family! I hope everyone has a great Christmas! 
Much Love,
Elder Doman

*I'm more than 1/4 of the way finished with this journey. I wanted to thank everyone for the support I am still receiving each week. I don't know if i'd be able to make it with out you guys! Thanks so much! 

"Time is the most precious commodity. It's the one thing you can't buy, or ever buy back." - unknown

Picture 1- at the ward christmas party last monday, I came across an old friend that went to DHHS the same time I did. Andy was a Senior when I was a sophomore! I look up to him so much, and appreciate the example he set for me. For those that went to DHHS, I bet you recognize him from the school plays!


Picture 2- Me and elder Peay!



Picture 3- The 6 month mark tie burning session! Such a good time. It's a mission tradition! 




No comments:

Post a Comment