Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Brock's last letter from Palm Bay, can you believe he's already ⅛ of the way through his mission???

Friends and Family,

To start out, I wanted to let you know that I loved he emails that were sent to me this week. You guys always make me laugh! Thanks for the time each of you are spending to read and respond to my emails every once in a while!

The farm on Monday was great! We learned how to survive in the wilderness if we have a pet rabbit with us. It was a little weird, but my survival skills increased. We were also able to help out with their chicken coop that held over 200 chickens!! They were everywhere! I've never seen so many chickens in my life! It was a fun time and we were able to have a lesson after dinner with their neighbor who isn't a member!

Well, we got our transfer call last night, and I will be leaving Palm Bay! I definitely have mixed emotions, but I think the change will be good. It was nice to be so close to the ocean and to see it almost every day, but it will be fun to experience more of the Florida Orlando Mission! I won't know where I'll be going, but this makes it kind of fun! To be honest, it felt like the Hunger Games a little bit. We got a call last night from our Zone Leaders and all it said was, "Elder Doman, you will be getting transferred." hahaha it was kind of crazy. I'm excited, but at the same time a little nervous.

We had another great cooking story this week.... Elder Willard wanted to make homemade cookies for the last district meeting of the transfer. The idea of that is fine, but when it started to become an action it wasn't the best idea anymore.
Problem #1- The recipe for the frosting asked for some powdered sugar, but we didn't have any of it, so we just used regular granulated sugar. We didn't think there was a difference and all would be good...
Problem #2- We finished making the dough and then realized we didn't have a rolling pin. This was a major problem. We searched for something, anything that would work. We looked in the back of the closet and found an old PVC pipe. We washed it off and called it good.
Problem#3- The recipe called for a cube of butter. This was fine. We had some butter in the freezer. We took out a cube and put it in the microwave to thaw it out. Somehow, we forgot to add the butter once it was thawed…. What a bone-head move, I know.
Solution- once the non-buttered, granulated sugar cookies finished baking in the oven we gave them a try! I took my first bite and almost broke off my tooth. They were hard as a rock! We just threw them away and pretended like we didn't even try. Bottom line is, Elders shouldn't bake cookies.

I have finally finished my "12 Week Training!" I'm no longer a trainee and am now Junior Companion. The special prize for this is I am now able to do online proselyting! I'll have a Facebook starting Wednesday. There are many purposes for online proselyting and I get a training for it on Wednesday. We are able to do a group message on Facebook, and have members join in and talk with an investigator that may not be comfortable having people over. It is an awesome tool, and it will be effective.  I'll be able to add you guys, but then have to block you. So you'll be able to see what I'm posting, but I won't be able to see your posts. I'll post links and quotes everyone in a while, so there can be some benefit to being my "friend."

On Thursday we had an awesome day! There is an investigator couple who is progressing well, and we had an appointment with them early in the morning. They are hilarious. They were previously Pentecostal (that's the religion that sing, dance, and clap through out the meeting!) They have been at church the last couple of weeks, and they are practically in awe after. Both times they have attended, they have been surprised how quiet and calm it is. They told us that they are used to having this high energy, wild, church service, and they aren't used to feeling the spirit at church! It was crazy! Like feeling the spirit at church is what you are trying to do through out the whole service, right? The husband has read all of the Book of Mormon in 9 days! He is loving it! It's amazing to see how quickly the conversion process speeds up once they start to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. they are progressing along very well! It will be sad not finding out what happens further along the road.

Later Thursday night we had a cookout with Kathy (the recently baptized member,) her visiting teachers, and a few other members that came along to some of our lessons with her. It was a good time and she is starting to feel like she is a part of the ward and belongs there. For missionaries, this is like one of the best things to hear! We then know we did our job! We finished the cook out with a testimony meeting. When it got to Kathy's turn, I was excited. I knew she was ready and I couldn't wait. She gave one of the best testimonies I've heard. Maybe it was just because we baptized her, but it was definitely something I won't forget. She talked about how much this has changed her. She said she was never happy prior to meeting
with us and has been sad ever since her husband had died 13 years ago. Now that she knows she can be with him again changed everything. She goes about with a smile and just being happy. She kept saying "there is something different about me, and I wouldn't change it for the world."

This church is true. I'm learning so much each and everyday. I love being out here and serving the Lord. Thank you for all of the support I am getting! You guys are the greatest! I hope everyone has a great week!

Much love,

Elder Doman

“That love never changes. … It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve [it]. It is simply always there.” October 2013 General Conference "Like A Broken Vessel" 
Jeffery R Holland








No comments:

Post a Comment