Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, September 15, 2014

September 15th: "I'm loving my mission so much, but at the same time, I miss you guys!"



Oh, sweet joy this sentence gives: "I know that my Redeemer lives."

Friends and family,

I honestly can't believe how fast time is starting to pick up. It felt like it was just a couple days ago when I sent out an email! I remember the first week in the MTC and how felt like a month! I guess it's a good and bad thing. I'm loving my mission so much, but at the same time I miss you guys!

Leading up to Kathy's baptism, we focused most of our efforts on her
and preparations needed. There is a lot of work that needs to be done
prior to a baptism at I had never thought about, (cleaning the font,
letting members of the ward know, making a program, etc..) but the
feeling after the baptism was indescribable! This area hadn't had a
baptism in 14 months! I was so happy for Kathy and the covenant she
has made with our Father in Heaven. I was also very excited for our
other investigators that were there. They said It was a very spiritual
experience just watching the ordinance, and it strengthened their
testimony so much! When we met with the investigators that attended
this week, we were able to feel the impact it made on them. Now that
Kathy is baptized,  we only get to meet with her once a week. This
leaves us more time now to meet with our other investigators and spend
more time finding.

We were outside finding so much this week, and I loved it! I love
being out in the sun sweating to death, even if I'm in a shirt and a
tie! I did have one pretty embarrassing moment though... On Thursday,
it was 91 degrees with 70% humidity. This is like a perfect formula to
make a grown man sweat to death, I swear! We were on our 3rd
consecutive hour of door to door knocking, when a nice, older man let
us in for some lemonade and air conditioning. As you can imagine, we
were both extremely sweaty and gross. We took our backpacks off not
realizing we were soaking wet and about to sit down on his light
tan,very comfortable couch... We explained what we do as missionaries
and got to know him while enjoying our cold lemonade. He ended up not
being interested and said he had to go. We stood up off of his couch
to find that we had both left an imprint of our back-sweat all along
his couch! We were both extremely embarrassed and luckily, the older
man didn't care too much. We apologized over and over again and walked
out disgusted in ourselves because of the the amount of sweat we had
left. You can definitely say we ( left our mark..)  TA DUMMM TSSSS!
(Shout out to my sister Brittany)

We had an awesome experience on exchanges this Saturday. One of the
coolest experiences in my mission for sure! Me and Elder Husbands were
biking home Saturday evening for dinner, and we were passing by the
church when we stopped to talk to a man walking a long the sidewalk.
Right off the bat he asks us if he knows where we go after we die and
what we do. At this point we hadn't even introduced ourselves yet. We
talked to him for a little bit and he agreed to go in the church to
get out of the heat and for us to continue to talk to him. He ended up
being 24 years old and got out of prison 2 years ago. He'd been trying
to find God and didn't know where to turn. We taught him the first
lesson and by the end of it he was just crying his eyes out. He was
repeatedly saying throughout the lesson,  "I know this is where God
wants me right now." It was so spiritual! This man had never truly
felt the spirit before and when he did on Saturday night, it changed
him. He agreed to the baptismal invitation and couldn't stop smiling
after we had talked to him. SO AWESOME.

I know this is a shorter email, and I'm sorry! We had to shorten our
emailing time today because we are headed over to help a member clean
out his horse stalls and fix up his barn! His name is Brother Buffalo
which I find kind of ironic because he is a big time rancher and loves
horses. He said for dinner he's going to cook up some rabbits he
killed this morning. I don't know how I feel about that, but i'm sure
it will be fun. I'm normally not one to enjoy this "cowboy" work, but
I'm actually pretty excited to go out and see some farm animals, fix
up a barn, and wear a cowboy hat. I'll make sure to take a lot of
pictures and I'll e-mail them next week! To finish, I just wanted to
say being on a mission is so cool. Just look at that scenario that
happened to me on Saturday. We just happened to be riding past him the
same exact time he was looking for someone to answer life's questions.
This church is so true. Our Heavenly Father is blessing us in so many
different ways. He has a plan for each of us, and I know that to be
true. I love being a missionary and seeing our Father in Heaven direct
his sons and daughters to us missionaries!  I hope everyone is doing
great!
Much love,

Elder Doman

"You are going to face some Goliaths ahead--big challenges. Don’t fear
them. Meet them. Move into them, knowing that the Lord is with you, if
your cause is righteous."  Wendell J. Ashton,  April 1971 General
Conference

In his letters home this week:

“I love it that murph broke his paw. I think it's hilarious. I can't believe how much of a spaz he is! He is so big now! When I saw that picture of him I was dying! He was so tiny before I left. Tell him I say hi and give him a treat for me”

“I can't believe St. George is flooding again! I thought they had it prepared so good for if it were to ever happen again, it would be okay! I'm glad everyone is safe though! The world is crazy. I only hear bits and pieces about "Isis" and what is actually happening. I hear they are capturing people and cutting off their heads and sending them in video? Soo messed up. As a result, we are no longer able to teach Muslims! Kinda racist, but it's for the best I guess. Better safe than sorry!”

“Can you believe it's been a year since I blew my knee out?! If 2 years goes by this fast, you better start making preparations for me to come home! Goodness that has gone by fast! So mom, I honestly think I'm the skinniest I've ever been! I'm loving it. I've been running 2 times a week and lifting the other 4 now. Unfortunately, my pants are getting a little too big. I think we may go to target later today and I may get some more pants. I'll keep these in case I gain the weight back, of course. And my arms feel like they are getting smaller! I really don't like that fact. Could you maybe send some of those workout elastic bands with some exercises you can do with them. When you aren't able to exercise when ever you want to, that 30 minutes in the morning is like golden time. It's been getting dark early here, so I've been able to work out a little bit at night as well. There is a jump rope I've been doing here, and I think if I have those bands my arms won't lose their muscle as fast.”

“So my favorite person this week was a new investigator we found! We
knocked on her door on Friday, and she invited us to come sit down on
her porch. We were kind of sketched out because we were in the ghetto
part of town, and we saw a bunch of beer bottles and cigarette
packages laying around. She has an Hispanic boyfriend and he was home
as well. This lady is covered from neck to toes in tattoos as well. We
went through her house to get to her back porch and through out the
house, there were hundreds of crosses hanging on all of the walls (and
I'm not even exaggerating) it was solid crosses on every inch of every
wall. They must have spent thousands of dollars on all of them. I
don't know about you, but when I see crosses and candles, I get a
terrible feeling in my stomach and just feel kind of sick. I felt like
I was in a scary movie. I mean, It's good to remember Jesus Christ and
his Atonement. But I'm so glad our religion doesn't focus on that and
we are more centered on the fact that he lives and performs miracles
daily. Anyway I was so glad we got out of the house quickly and onto
the porch. We sat down and got to know her and established our purpose
right off of the bat. She was acceptng of our message and wanting to
learn more. We went through the first lesson (the restoration) and she
loved it! She was so excited to read from the Book of Mormon and
thrilled there was more teachings of Jesus Christ found outside of the
Bible! It opened up a whole new world for her!  She committed to come
to church as well and was just so anxious to learn more about our
religion! It was so fantastic. She loved church and felt totally
welcome, even though she stood out a little bit with her tattoos. The
members were awesome and super accepting and welcomed her with open
arms!  It was just awesome. Totally cool!” 










No comments:

Post a Comment