Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1st- "I don't want this feeling to go away. Please, don't go away" - Jack Johnson

Friends and Family,

This week has probably been the best week of my mission so far! It was very spiritual and I was just loving it! We worked hard, accomplished a lot, and set up busy plans for next week!  I hope everyone had a good week as well and is having a great time! Oh and happy Labor Day!

On Tuesday, we had the opportunity to meet with our investigator who passed her baptismal interview last Sunday at church! She will be baptized Sunday the 7th! This will be my first baptism, so I'll make sure to take and email some pictures!  She is the funniest lady! She always calls me the "handsome missionary" while she calls my companion, Elder Willard, the "other missionary!" Hahaha he hates it so much! I can't help but to laugh every time she says it. She also sends us on our way with some type food! From cookies to chicken and rice, there is always something she makes us!

Her lesson on Tuesday was something I will never forget. We sat down and started to talk about her baptismal interview and make sure things were set for Sunday. She began to talk about her interview, and she got a little bit choked up. A few moments later she then started to cry and just broke out in tears of joy. While she was crying, she forced out the words "After I had my interview, there was just something different about me. I felt like Jesus Christ was with me and I was able to recognize God's love for me more and more in my life. I know this is what He wants me to do right now." It was an amazing feeling in that room. The spirit was definitely there, but it was a unique feeling for me. It made me think about and realize what is actually happening. This lady just changed her entire life. She's living a better, happier life because two men, ages 18 and 20, decided to serve a mission. If we didn't make this decision to serve, none of this change would have happened for her. It was nice to know that our investigator was ready and excited to be baptized. She understands what she is doing and couldn't be happier! The church is true!

So it was a very spiritual week with her, and our other appointments went well! Palm Bay is making a lot of progress! However, we also had some pretty funny things happen this week!

1) Elder Willard doesn't have the quickest reaction time, and one morning during personal study he was nodding off to sleep.... (His usual)  And then he fell out if his chair and hit his head on the floor! Hahaha it was the funniest thing! He was so mad and embarrassed!

2) We had some prettying great excuses why people couldn't come to the door
        - "My wife isn't home, so I can't talk right now"
        - " I was watching TV"
        - " I was in bed before I came to the door"
        - "I have a dog"
Goodness, like what are those excuses? At least come up with something good!!

3) We went to a Jamaican members home for a "Jamaican Jerk" bar-b-que on Saturday evening with an investigator. There were a lot of members that were going to be attending to celebrate the football season kickoff! Man, it was so hard not to watch the game! But that's not the funny part at all. We went to show our investigator some of the ward members and for them to get to know him. The funny part of the story is that we didn't know that some of the chicken was cooked with extremely hot peppers, and it is the Jamaican culture to have very hot, spicy food! I took my first bite without knowing this valuable information, and my mouth was almost on fire! I looked over to Elder Willard to see if he was experiencing the same thing and he was practically dead! He started coughing and downing water, rice, and some crackers on the other table! It reminded me of the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" when they squirt the mustard and ketchup in their mouths at the restaurant! All of the ward started to laugh and make fun of us big time... It was hilarious!

4) We were in a trailer park teaching an older man on Wednesday. About half way through the lesson on The Plan of Salvation, his little poodle dog pooped right on his foot! It was nasty! What was surprising for me is that he didn't even do anything immediately! He was silent and just stood up very slowly taking deep breaths right in the middle of the trailer for like 2 minutes with his eyes closed!! It was obvious he was trying not to lose it! We were trying so hard not to laugh! Finally, the man says "just come back later, okay?" We stood up awkwardly and walked out with out saying a word! I was dying of laughter as soon as the door closed behind us!

I'm loving it out here on my mission. Having great experiences like these make it even better! I can't believe it's already September, where has the time gone? I am taking some great pictures, but because it is Labor Day and the library is closed we had to email on our iPads at the church! So next week expect some good, uploaded pictures!
 I miss you guys and hope all is well!

Much love,


Elder Doman

No comments:

Post a Comment