Our intent of this blog is to share Brock's adventures in Orlando, Florida while he's on his LDS mission. Hopefully, by reading about how Brock is changing the lives of so many, and seeing Brock's own personal growth in the gospel, the people reading this blog will also be able to feel the spirit and be inspired to strengthen or develop their own testimonies of Christ and the LDS church.

Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28th- “So this week our investigator took us to Ichiban!! When I told them I've had 62 sushi rolls in one meal they were very impressed!”

July 28th, 2014

Friends and Family,

How's it going friends and Family? I'm absolutely loving my mission! There are definitely tough times and points where I feel very discouraged, but the moments where I feel the spirit so strongly and the hand of God is leading us to those who are prepared and wanting to hear the gospel make it so worth it.

We had the craziest experience this week. On Wednesday, we had 5 scheduled lessons and planned on having a dinner with a family. It looked like it was going to be a very successful day! As the day went on, all but 1 lesson cancelled. We were so discouraged and upset with how things were going, we then received a call about dinner and they cancelled as well.  As you can imagine, our hopes and attitude went down the drain. We then decided to hop on our bikes and we started the journey back to the apartment to cook dinner. We had done a lot of door knocking and biking to different neighborhoods that day. Around 6 PM, Elder Willard and I were biking home after a long, hot, sweaty day and we were 2 hungry missionaries (surprise surprise) Hahaha! Anyway, we were about 4 miles away from the apartment when all of the sudden this car passes us and pulls into the bike lane.  We pull up next to her window and she says, "You guys are the Mormons, right?" We respond with "Umm yeah, is there anything we can help you with?" She then responds, "Yeah, I've just had a rough couple of months, and I'm trying to find God in my life. Can you guys like come teach me or whatever Ya'll do? I want to get baptized in your church. I have a friend that's Mormon, and she seems to have her life together." It was so awesome! Definitely a blessing!  We have now taught her twice since Wednesday, and I've already been able to see a change in her and her son’s life. They are both so happy and are enjoying life so much more.

I learned so many important lessons from this experience. I've been able to relate this to just about every aspect of my mission so far. Elder Willard and I could have just biked home fast and angry, completely avoiding her car as she pulled into the bike lane. However, we both felt the need to stop biking and see if she was okay. I'm so grateful for the spirit for not only guiding me, but guiding the people that are seeking to become more like our Savior Jesus Christ in the path which He would want them to go. We had knocked on hundreds of doors that day wanting to share this message, but we were blessed with someone looking for us. It was definitely something I won't forget!

I can't wait for our Baptism coming up this Sunday the 3rd! It's definitely exciting and something to look toward to, but I've learned that getting numbers aren't everything. The number of baptisms we have is not important. We can't make the people we come in contact with accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, but As long as I am giving 100% of my effort and doing all that I can to bring people unto Christ, I'm
being a successful missionary.

I want to thank all of you for the support and motivation you give me each and every day. I received some packages last Monday night and those were fantastic! Friends and Family, I would not be here with out your example to me. I really do appreciate it. I miss everything about St. George, but right now I'm loving my life. I'm so happy and loving the Mission! I love seeing the joy and peace this gospel brings to the lives of others! There is a different kind of joy you see when others are accepting Christ in their lives.  I hope all is well back home! They keep telling me my mission will go by fast, and I'm starting to believe them.

Much Love,
Elder Doman

PS
There is an awesome Mormon Message I suggest watching! It's called "Lifting Burdens."  My favorite quote from that video I wanted to leave with you is "We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today, while our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever."

Have a great week!!

Elder Doman

Here are a few other things that Brock included in his letters home this week as well:

“Well, my companion and I will be having a baptism this week.  We are so excited it’s crazy.  I was here to first contact her, teacher all of the lessons, and do the baptism.  I hear that hardly ever happens, I’m lucky”

“Well, we are trapped in our appointment this afternoon because of the weather….awesome, right?  I’m just sitting here basically watching it flood outside.  The weather is insane here!  It will be super hot for 2 days in a row, then it’s a downpour for the next.  It’s hard to know what it’s going be like because we can’t watch the news.  Man, a mission would be so 100% easier if I could listen to music, watch the news, and know what’s going on in the world."

“Mom, don't just be okay! Be great!! Life is so awesome! Be happy! That's what our Heavenly Father wants from us. Know that I am in his hands and and will be fine!! It's definitely hard to stay happy all the time when I don't get to hear or see you guys at all.. It's definitely hard for me. But the good thing is is that we have such a strong bond and connection I know that Heavenly Father is protecting you. Without a doubt in my mind I know you will all be safe. Look at Abby's health for example. Ever since I've prepared for my mission, for the most part, she has been healthy. There are so many blessings we are receiving Mom. We NEED to be happy!”

“So this week our investigator took us to Ichiban!! When I told them I've had 62 sushi rolls in one meal they were very impressed!”


“Mom, I'm having a great time. I'm in love with living life. I hope you are too! Be happy. Have a smile on your face where ever you go! If you want to help me out, do all you can to be happy! Tell gma and gpa I say hi and I really miss them.... I love and miss you too. Tell Marli [our little shih tzu that Brock didn’t get along with very well] that she's an idiot and Murphy [Our big golden retriever puppy] I love him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment